1 Corinthians 13: 1 & 13

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

4 March 2009

Detailed written report (1B Lai Hoi Ching, Kaite)

The title of this book is ‘George’s Marvellous Medicine’. The author of this book is Roald Dahl. The publisher of this book is Qustion Blake. I choose this book for my book report project because it is very funny and my family and I can learn many things through this book.

This is a funny book. Also, it is a family book about George and her grandmother. George, his parents and his grandmother, live on a farm in a small village. The village is far away from the city. Therefore, George has no friends and he always feels lonely. More unfortunately, his grandmother treats him very bad. “You are growing too fast. Don’t eat so much chocolate. Boy who grows too fast will become very stupid and lazy.” His grandmother always tells him. George felt very unhappy with these a lot of things. He thinks he is very useless for his family as he can do nothing right in his grandmother’s eyes. He had a wonderful idea about curing his mother. That was making a medicine. He thought a medicine may cure the wretchedness of her so that he tried.

This story set in the countryside in England. So I think it is suitable for English children and teenagers. Also, I think this book is also suitable for Hong Kong’s children because I think Hong Kong’s children treat their parents very bad and their parents spoil them. They can learn how to get along with their family. That’s the main idea of this book. Moreover, they can learn to be safe at home and not to do dangerous experiments at home like George.

I think this book is very funny. I enjoyed it very much. Even my parents, they read it with me, they also said it is funny. We laughed together. This book makes us spend more time on each other. I don’t like George’s family as I think this family is a weird family. They don’t usually talk with each other. I don’t like this lifestyle. There are many characters in this book, like George, Dad, Mom and grandmother. I like them all. But my most favourite character in this book is grandmother because she is very funny and cranky.

I think the best part of this book was when George was trying to make more Marvellous Medicine, he forgot some of the stuff that he put into the first medicine. It is very exciting. But this book is a bit horrible. Because one of the sences was about grandmother. She went up to the sky but her feet were in the sitting room. Her body was in Geogre’s room. Her face was in the attic roof. It was a little bit scary. I think the author’s use of words is brilliant and his style is excellent, especially when he described grandmother’s evil and her feelings. So I think Roald Dahl is an amazing wrtier. I would read another book by this author. I learnt to be good to my family members. I would recommend this book to all my friends and my relatives.

I thinky this book is very excellent. If I can give marks to this book (ten marks is the full mark). I will give this book nine marks. I think everyone should read this book. You may learn more through this book. You can borrow this book form all of the public libraries.

No comments: