1 Corinthians 13: 1 & 13

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

22 April 2009

3D Class Presentation - Funky British Phrasals

Episode 1: Falling ill
ELAM :Hey ANDREW, are you feeling ok? I don’t think you’re looking too well today. Are you okay?
ANDREW:Am I okay? No, not really. I’ve got a temperature, a headache, a sore throat….I think I’m going down with something. ELAM:Oh dear…I’d say you’re going down with the flu! ELAM:So poor ANDREW, it is not very well. ANDREW:Yes, I think I’m going down with the flu. But I’ve got to fight it off! We’ve got a presentation to do. ELAM:What a professional, trying not to let yourself get ill, trying to fight it off. ANDREW:The show must go on!
--------------ELAM:I’ve got some pain killers in my bag somewhere…Here… ANDREW:Oh. Thanks, that should bring my temperature down. ELAM:Yes, hopefully it’ll reduce your temperature. ELAM:And here’s some water. ANDREW:Thanks. Cold water will cool me down too. ELAM:Yes, if you’re feeling hot and unwell, drinking water will stop you being so hot. ANDREW:(drinks) Argh. That hurts my throat! ELAM:Hmm you’re a difficult patient! Why don’t you go and have a bit of a lie down? ELAM:So, Matt, how are you feeling now. ANDREW:Oh…I’m feeling much better thanks! I think I’m getting over it all. ELAM:Well that’s a relief.
Something you should know…

• to go down with something = fall ill

• to fight something off: try to get rid of it

• to bring something down: to reduce something

• to cool down: make something cool or cooler

• to get over: to recover


Episode 2: Travelling around the world
CHRISTINE: Wow, that looks like a long email you’re reading there…
WEDNY : Yes, it’s from my friend Zac who has just started a round-the-world trip.
CHRISTINE: Wow – he’s going round the world – how exciting! So did you go with him to the airport to say goodbye to him?
WEDNY: Yes I went to see him off at the airport last week. He sounds like he’s having a great time.
CHRISTINE: So tell us more about your friend’s trip.
WEDNY: Well, after I saw him off at the airport, he took a plane to Australia!
CHRISTINE :What a great start! Where in Australia? Sydney? Perth?
WEDNY: Actually his plane touched down in Melbourne. He’s going to travel all around Australia.
CHRISTINE: So, his plane touched down - it landed, in Melbourne. I’d love to go there. But I think he’s really brave travelling around on his own.
WEDNY: Well I’m sure he’ll meet lots of people while he’s travelling.
CHRISTINE:That’s true.

• to see someone off = to say goodbye to someone, using at the airport or train station.
• to touch down = when aircraft is landing
• Where are Sydney/ Perth/ Melbourne


No comments: